Jürgen Wegner, is a print historian and a retired cataloguer at the University of Sydney.
His academic practice and passion is the preservationof printing trade heritage which he does through his Brandywine Press publishig The News from Brandywine regularly.
"What happens when a large body of printed matter is not published (or near- or semi-published) and not supplied-the so-called grey literature? The printed “publications” issued by the printing trades are more akin to manuscript material and require special steps to be collected and so preserved for future researchers. With most of the material published by the printing trades almost none of it survives even in a single copy. The past fifty years have seen a revolution in printing: from paper to digital. No-one has sought to document this millennial change. Thousands of books, pamphlets and serials have been produced by the printing trades, used and then almost without exception binned. Our printing history is now largely a history of absence."
Jurgen collates and collects the following:
1. Annual bibliography of books and printing in Australia and New Zealand, 4 (2008) +
2. Brandywine, issue 1 (1990)-issue 5 (1992). A journal on books and printing especially Australian private presses.
3. Brandywine bibliography, 1 (1981) + . An irregular series of specialist bibliographies – some of them ongoing – on the subject of books and printing.
4. Brandywine documents on the history, 1 (1980) + . An irregular series of pamphlet facsimiles on the subject of books and printing.
5. Brandywine keepsake, 1979-1990. An annual series of pamphlet keepsakes for friends on the subject of books and printing.
6. Directory of company histories of the book industries, Lieferung 1 (1981) +. An irregular bibliography of international jubilee histories from the “book industries”.
7. NfB, or, The news from Brandywine, #1 (July 2011) + . A monthly digital newsletter. Copies are archived by the National Library of New Zealand’s National Digital Heritage Archive at: http://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/content-aggregator/getIEs?system=ilsdb&id=1517808
8. The shadow-land, #1 (2000) + . A now bi-monthly journal largely on the subject of books and printing in Australia and New Zealand. Title has varied.
9. The shadowland papers, #1 (2007) + . A series of occasional papers on the subject of books and printing, chiefly on Australia and New Zealand.
10. Typographica, 1/2 (1983) + . An international bibliography of type specimen books held in the archive.